The Dormont Volunteer Fire Department is a combination fire department consisting of 4 paid firefighters and 15 men and women volunteer firefighters. The Department was established in 1910 to serve the needs of the growing community. By the 1920s, the borough had two fire companies: Dormont and the Potomac Fire Company. When council chose Dormont as the borough fire service and ordered Potomac to disband, the department’s place in borough history was cemented. From then on, the Department has grown to become a team of highly trained and well-equipped professionals serving the community twenty-four hours per day.
The Department operates out of a single fire station located on Hillsdale Ave. The Department has 2 fire engines, a truck, and a utility vehicle. The Department responds to approximately 350 calls per year. The volunteers have to completed at least 188 hours of firefighting essentials and are firefighter 1 certified.
The Dormont Volunteer Fire Department provides initial responses to structure fires, vehicle fires, vehicle accidents, and emergency calls for the residents of the Borough. The department covers over area of .07 square miles that consists of approximately 9.400 residents. The Dormont Volunteer Fire Department has mutual aid agreements with Mt. Lebanon Fire Department, Castle Shannon Volunteer Fire Department, Glendale, Bower Hill, and East Carnegie Volunteer Fire Departments, and Greentree Volunteer Fire Department.
Not only are we committed to providing the best possible firefighting and emergency response services to the borough, but we strive for and actively seek to continuously improve our service by reducing our response time, increasing our efficiency, constantly improving our skills, and maintaining a modern complement of firefighting equipment.